Sunday, September 18, 2011

18 Sep Sunday - Cost Of Living – Kuwait


For a change of pace I thought I would go to an American Restaurant Saturday Night. Most all my American friends eat at American Restaurant for lunch and dinner.   I am planning to go an American Movies today Sunday to see the Rise of The Planet of The Apes. It may be telling my age but I saw the original planet of the apes with Charleston Hesston at a first run movies theater – not on TV and not on DVD.

Chili's - KUWAITBut back to Saturday night >>>> I ate at a polar American chain inside one of the many shopping malls in Kuwait.  Chili’s has over 2,000 restaurants in 24 counties. Chili's is said to be the most popular restaruant in Kuwait.  Chili's started as a hamburger joint in Dallas, TX so for “ole time’s sake” I ordered a hamburger with French Fries which is staple food for Americans but I had not had one of more than a year.  It was a very big hamburger and large order of French Fries. For 10 Kuwait Dinars (KD) the waitress brought to me one hamburger, order of French Fries, Southwestern Spring Rolls with black beans as appetizer, one ice tea, and a bottle of water.  The total cost was more than $36.00 USD (10 KD). I could only eat half and it was not that good.  Dinner in an American restaurant can cost $30 - $40 per person with no alcoholic drinks. Alcoholic is against the law.

In contrast today, I shopped at the food market and purchase about 2 weeks of food – about 40 meals for 15 KD or $54 USD for 2 weeks!  I eat primarily vegetables and fruits raw in a green smoothie. Google Green Smoothie to find many recipes.  Many times I will fix lentils (Dahl) with rice. Or fix a variety of Chinese or Indian dishes. 

It is very expensive in Kuwait to eat in American restaurants but very affordable to prepare your own meals and sometimes eat in the locally owned Indian or Chinese restaurants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers