Sunday, March 20, 2011

04MAR Fri – Eating, Slurping, Spitting

 04Mar Fri

Spitting and Slurping

Spitting on the street is ok in China.    Mostly men spit but some women also spit.  I defy anyone to eat long noodles in soup without slurping so slurping is ok.

 

Eating

I know I have eaten Ox intestines, pig’s ear, and fish eyes.  I think but not sure if I eat a bug or worm like a big grub worm. I found out later it was a silkworm. They are sold in the market and they are delicacies for Korean.

The pigs’ ears come raw and cut up. I put them on the fire in the middle of the table.  The food was cooked at the table.  There are several Korean restaurants in Ant U that offer dog meat on the menu but I passed.  We did not eat at any of these restaurants.

Another lazy day… slept late until 8 am.

We walked around Antu.  Because of the cold weather the stores hang very large heavy canvas drapes in the doorways to keep out the cold.  The glass walls are fogged over and all the store front signs are in Chinese.  From the outside I cannot tell if a store is a food market, bar, restaurant, dry cleaning, hardware store, plumbing, pharmacy, dentist, doctor, massage, yoga, spa, beauty shop, barber shop.  The bars have a happy Santa Claus face with Merry Christmas pasted on the outside of their window or glass door.  I could not find any one who could tell my why a Santa Claus face.  Maybe the message is come inside and be happy. 

There are blocks and blocks of these store fronts that remind me of store fronts in American before the 1950’s when large department stores were built.  The   buildings are 3 – 7 stories high with store fronts on the lower level and apartments or offices on the 2nd and 3rd levels. My grandfather owned a tailoring and dry cleaning business in an older section of Wichita just west of the Downtown.   This shopping area contained blocks of store front with

The concept of large super market or department store is not part of the Chinese way for their retail industry.  They have large indoor market with many indoor vendors selling about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers