Sunday, March 13, 2011

Returning from 18-day trip of Beijing and Antu, China

Today I am in Dubai returning to Afghanistan from my first extended visit to mainland China. It was an 18 day trip of Beijing and Antu in the rural northern mountains of China.

I did not visit China as an American staying in American style hotel nor did I visit as a rich Chinese tourist but as a regular Chinese using the bus system, subway, and trains rather than taxi and airplanes and staying in Chinese hotel where no none speaks English and staying in an apartment of a friend. I was living life in China not visiting as a tourist.

The difference between rich and poor is stark from the 7-star Shangri-La in Beijing with all the luxury you can imagine across the street from the 2008 Olympic games complex at a minimum of 1,400 Yuan ($235USD) per night (cheap for a 7-star hotel) to thousands (maybe millions) of rural farm houses with 4 rooms, no indoor plumbing, no indoor toilets, no sewer system, no A/C, limited electricity for 4 ceiling light bulbs and a TV. The cost to live in one of the farmers’ houses is about 900 Yuan ($150 USD) per month.

China is a rich country compared to India and countries I have visited in Africa. Beijing is as modern as any International city with highways, roads, cars, sewer system, electric, Air Conditioning, public transportation, shopping, entertainment, tourist attractions, hotel, high rise office buildings and apartments.

On the first day I thought I saw a WALMART but later on the trip I saw up close a WUMART so I am not sure if the first store I saw was a WUMART or a WALMART. China has both.

I think the Chinese government should change the name of the CCP from the Central Communist Party to the Central Capitalist Party. I see evidence of business growth, entrepreneurialism, capitalism, free markets, and prosperity everywhere. Mainline china began experimenting with free markets near the border with Hong Kong in preparation for taking over Hong Kong in 1999. I believe the communists saw the prosperity of Hong Kong and decided to adopt a more Capitalist approach to business and allow private business ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers