Sunday, March 20, 2011

13 Mar Sun - China Trip Returning to Dubai

13Mar Sun - Today I am in Dubai returning to Afghanistan from my first extended visit to mainland China. It was an 18 day trip of Beijing and Antu in the rural northern mountains of China.

I did not visit China as an American staying in American style hotel nor did I visit as a rich Chinese tourist but as a regular Chinese using the bus system, subway, and trains rather than taxis and airplanes. I stayed in a low cost Chinese hotel where no one speaks English and in an apartment of a friend. I was living life in China not visiting as a tourist.

The difference between rich and poor is stark from the 7-star Pangu Hotel in Beijing with all the luxury you can imagine across the street from the 2008 Olympic games complex at a minimum of 1,600 Yuan ($250USD) per night (low rate for a 7-star hotel) to thousands (maybe millions) of rural farm houses with 4 rooms, no indoor plumbing, no indoor toilets, no sewer system, no A/C, limited electricity for 4 ceiling light bulbs, and a TV. The cost to live in one of the farmers’ houses is about 900 Yuan ($150 USD) per month.

China is a rich country compared to India and countries I have visited in Africa. Beijing is as modern as any International city with highways, roads, cars, sewer systems, electricity, air conditioning, public transportation, shopping, entertainment, tourist attractions, hotels, high rise office buildings, and tall apartment complexes.

One way to tell the wealth of a county is by how clean, modern, and available are the toilets. Public toilets in Beijing were as clean, well lit, spacious, good smelling, with paper towels and toilet paper, and as modern as the best in the US. In comparison, India had public toilets that are small, dimly lit smelly, with standing water or whatever on the floor – hip waders were appropriate. Only as a last resort would I walk in with just the bare feet on sandals that I wore. Several times I would do what the locals did – find a secluded place on the street and unzip. Even the better toilets of the airport and restaurants did not have toilet paper or paper towels.

On the first day in Beijing I thought I saw a WALMART but later on the trip I saw up close a WUMART so I am not sure if the first store I saw was a WUMART or a WALMART. China has both. The influence of America is seen everywhere -- American style clothing, American brands, American franchised restaurants and more importantly the American style capitalism and free markets.

I think the Chinese government should change the name of the CCP from the Central Communist Party to the Central Capitalist Party. I see evidence of business growth, entrepreneurialism, capitalism, free markets, and prosperity everywhere. Mainline china began experimenting with free markets near the border with Hong Kong in preparation for taking over Hong Kong in 1999. I believe the Communists saw the prosperity of Hong Kong and decided to adopt a more Capitalist approach to business and allow private business ownership.

Although, there may be human rights issues in China, I saw none of it traveling with Chinese people back and forth between Beijing, Antu, and Yangi. There were police and security guards everywhere. However, I did not see soldiers with rifles and automatic weapons like I have seen in Mexico and India. I was not accosted by anyone like I have been in Mexico, India, Djibouti, and US Cities. There were no beggars or panhandlers like US, Mexico, India, Djibouti and even Kuwait I experienced one. I heard to be aware of pickpockets but this same warning applies to all area where large groups of people gather. I have experienced pick pocketing in Chicago but never in a foreign country.

I did not experience the seedier side of town or night life after midnight in China. I am not aware of any areas like Bourbon Street of New Orleans in Beijing but they probably exist. Clubs with music, dancers, and drinks exist in Mexico, India, Djibouti, and Dubai. I have heard they exist but very underground in Kuwait since they are strictly against the law with harsh penalties. I did not experience any in China but saw some evidence that they exist. There was a sign in English on one building that said “western style club” and there were several bars in Antu. Generally, I was in bed early since most days started early.

People in China are very different but very much the same as people in the United States. Everyone is working to make a living and support their families. As a non-Chinese in the rural area of Northern China, I looked like someone no one or few people had seen before. I stood out and stood about a head taller and pounds heavier that most. Many people starred and I think would have like to talk to me but no one spoke English and I only spoke enough Chinese to say “Hello, How Are You?”

The economy/government is transforming from a Communistic closed systems to a more capitalist free market open system. The government would like to see their population move to the poorer rural areas to the wealthier urban areas but this transformation requires education, jobs and an infrastructure that supports it.

3 comments:

  1. You said that you never experienced pickpockets in foreign countries...just curious but did you use protective measures while in China. For example, I either kept my wallet in the front pocket or a hand in the backpocket with the wallet. Im surprised that you didn't see any beggars but it could be true if you were in the poorer areas while they were in the richer areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not say I did not visit rich areas of China. I said I did not stay in a hotel nor eat in restuarants nor take a tour that caterers to Americans or Westerns. There are many rich Chinese in Beijing.

    I do not think there are any beggars in China. I visited Tiananmen Square and the railway station in Beijing and a Dentist who caters to Westerners. These are rich areas of Beijing. I walked around the shopping areas near Tiananmen Square where a lot of people with money in their pockets walk. There were no beggars and no panhandlers. I guess the Chinese government prevents it.

    There are no beggars or panhandlers in Kuwait either. Only once did someone on the street ask me for money. First he wanted to sell me something and after I said no he said he was hungry and needed money. There are many, many beggars in India even in the areas of the poor and the homeless. Of course, there are beggars, panhandlers, and homeless in big cities of America. But I saw none in all the places I visited in China.

    Regarding Pickpockets, I probably should have said I have never had a pickpocket take anything from me. In crowds, I carry my wallet in a front pocket, hang on to any bag I carry, and make sure all the pockets are zipped and flaps closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James,
    Enjoyed reading your travelogue with a lot of comparisons of China with other developing countries. As an American with such a rich experience of traveling or living in many countries, you have a keen eye of observing the differences.
    Hope you have more opportunity to come back to China, to some more remote areas, like Huhhot in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. Suning

    ReplyDelete

Followers