Sunday, March 20, 2011

11MAR 2011 Fri – Back to Beijing; One Last Time This Trip

11Mar Fri - Today we left Antu, changed trains in Changchun; and arrived Beijing. I stayed in the same hotel where I checked my bags.
Changing trains in Changchun
I have done this before so now I know the routine. In Antu the Railway Agent announces the trains arrival and departure about 10:15 PM. Hundreds of people are waiting in the station to line up for the train exit to the train platform. A mass of people crowd into about 3 lines where ticket agents check and punch tickets so we can go outside and wait in the cold for the train. I am not sure why everyone is in such a hurry. The seats are assigned and there is plenty of room for baggage. We could have waited to be the last in line to reduce our wait in the cold. I just a few minutes the train arrives and we step up on to our car.

Once on board the train, I put my bag under my bed, change my shoes to indoor shoes, take off my coat and climb into my bunk bed. This time I have the lower bunk so it is easy. The man next to me is working on this computer and taking into his phone. It is 1100PM and all the lights are off but he keeps on talking. I do not understand what he is saying but in the morning I find out he is talking to his mistress or girlfriend – a lot of I love and I miss you comments.

At 5:15AM the lights inside the train come on and the car attendant announce the next stop at Changchun so we prepare to get off. I was already up so I ready.

Taxis at Changchun
“Taxi, Taxi 100 Yuan.” “Taxi, sir.” “Can I take your bag?” “Can I have your bag?” “Taxi miss, Taxi for 30 Yuan.” A horde of taxi drivers are among the crowd of passengers looking for a fare. They look into you face and ask. If I acknowledge by say “no or no thank you” they are after me. The only approach is to hold on to your bags, ignore, and walk briskly to the street. This fun and we laugh as soon as we are out of the crowd. Outside there is traffic jam of taxis on the street.

I have read that Taxi drivers in China are universally honest. Like every other city, the Taxi drivers are just trying to make a living for themselves and their family. Some will be more aggressive than others. Generally, the taxi drivers in China were helpful, honest, and did their job well to transport their passengers from one place to another. However, the taxi drivers in Changchun are more aggressive than normal. We heard stories that they would take your bag and your bag would be gone. In the crowd of train passengers, taxi drivers, and greeters could cut your back with a hidden knife and steal it. The Beijing Railway Station is very safe with minimal crime, if any, because of the large number of police, security guards, and railway agents. The Railway Station of Changchun was not as well controlled or guarded.

At Changchun, there are two railway stations – one for the express trains and one for the local trains. At the Express Train station, the Taxi drivers are prevented from entering the express train passenger station so there is not hassling inside. All the Taxis are outside on the street. They are prevented from approaching the people waiting for taxis. Like most airports there is a line of taxis and the passengers take the next one in line. Much more controlled. At the station for local trains, there is a long outside walk way to the street. Anyone can walk on this walk way. When a train arrives, the walkway is filled with arriving passengers, taxi drivers, and greeters along with a few thieves. This area is hard to control the jostling crowds.

It is easy enough to walk the few blocks from the Local Train Station to the Express Train Station without the need for a Taxi. If needed, at Taxi would be less than $2.00 USD.

The train number, departure time, car number, and seat number are all written on the ticket in English so it is easy enough to read the large departure board and find the waiting area. Once again, when is it time to board, a mass of people crowd through the gates to the platform. There are two express trains connected together with 8 cars each and 100 seats per car or room for 1600 people. The train was nearly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers